14 December 2012

Favorite MAC Lipsticks for the Holidays


I know it may sound overrated, but I do love MAC lipsticks. Their Matte and Satin finishes are among my favorites since they are both opaque enough to cover my pigmented lips well. Amplified finishes are also good for pigmented lips too, though not as longer-lasting as the other two I've mentioned. We don't have four seasons here in the tropics (obviously!) but it doesn't mean that we don't get to share the berry-hued trend every holiday season. Under the cut are sample swatches of some of my favorite MAC lippies that are especially apt this season (well in my opinion, that is).


Pink Plaid (Matte) - One of my most favorite lipstick shades ever (now almost done with my second tube), this shade can be quite tricky when applied. Under flash it tends to look more on the lavender side, otherwise it's a nice pale pink for those with a medium skin tone like me (I'm NC32 in MAC). This color looks even better when paired with navy blue eyeliner or a smokey eye.

Twig (Satin) - Err kindly excuse my Twilight-looking contacts, it's my first time wearing contacts (well technically these are my first pair ever) and I got too excited that it didn't occur to me that the brown lenses could make me look like a cast off from the Twilight saga. Anyway, Twig is my go-to "neutral" lipstick especially during work days when I want to wear something that I don't want to stand out too much but not too near the color of my lips as if I'm wearing nothing. I also read somewhere that this seems to be a popular color for brides and I could understand why since it's a fresh-looking hue.

Ruby Woo (Matte) - Like what most other reviews would say, Ruby Woo tends to be drying compared to other matte finishes like Pink Plaid. But what can I say, it's a damn good red. It's a bright classic red and looks really awesome with a tan. You know how sometimes you just got to have a spare lipstick in your bag that's bright and bold in case of emergency or impromptu parties? Well this is one of those colors that would never fail.


Hang-Up (Cremesheen) - I'm the least fan of the Sheer finishes since it tends to define the lines on my lips and is basically just an ugly mess. With this said, I also tend to shy away from the Frost and Cremesheen finishes as well since they somewhat remind me of Sheer. What I've realized however based on the two Cremesheen lipsticks that I own (the other being Viva Glam Cyndi) is that the darker the hue of the Cremesheen, the more it is wearable for those with pigmented lips. This shade is a great dark plum-red color, but it doesn't tend to last long especially after eating. All I can say is that this color, lakas lang maka-Christmas party! Haha.

So what's your favorite or go-to holiday lipstick? ;)




4 comments:

  1. wow! i like the ruby woo! but i don't think i can carry that kind of shade (or should i say, i still don't have the guts to do it ^^;)

    thanks for sharing this review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. keri mo yan jo! Also heard okay din/mas wearable especially to fair-skinned people nung Russian Red :)

      Delete
  2. Favorite ko rin yung MAC Satin lippie, medyo mahal pero ang ganda talaga ng color nya! hehe
    <3
    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover