21 December 2012

Legend of Xiao Long Bao


You will always have my attention when it comes to Xiao Long Bao. This succulent soup dumpling is on the top list of my favorite dimsum of all time. Aside from the inner fillings to taste good, I think the dumpling wrap (I have no idea of its proper term) is a key indicator of a good XLB. So far locally the best ones I've tasted are either from Shi Lin or Hai Shin Lou.

The only time I've heard of flavored XLB's was during our trip to Shanghai last year when we ate at their branch of Din Tai Fung. They had the Foie Gras and Truffle flavors and jeez louis it's like a piece of heaven in a dumpling! So when my friend Jo and I had the happenstance of stumbling on one restaurant that offers flavored XLB's when we had our Bangkok trip, we immediately have to try it. That and just because we were lured by the pretty colors of their restaurant. It's not quite visible in the photo, but they have cool neon green chairs at the back.

Aside from the original flavor, my next best favorite would still be the Foie Gras. If you get a chance to stumble upon it, you better give it a try. Ultimate yum!

1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover